Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Met Gala 2017

Hey Everyone,

It's a shame that the Met Gala was last night while I was stuck in class.  However, the beautiful thing about social media is that it was so widely covered, I was practically there anyway.  Except, you know...not at all there.  Like not even slightly close to being there.

But it's okay! That small detail doesn't stop me from compiling a list of the best dressed at the Met Gala, OR from judging the people I deemed not good enough.  In no particular order, here is my verdict:

1. Rihanna


It's tough for me to admit this, but someone beat out even the queen (Lady Gaga) this year, and that someone is Rihanna.  As far as I'm concerned, Rihanna won the red carpet. 

If you follow my blog or have any sort of interest in the fashion world, you know this year's theme was Rei Kawakubo of Comme des Garçons.  Kawakubo is known for her wild, imaginative, textured designs.  She is also known as the designer to create clothes that no one would actually want to wear. While most guests last night stuck to safer ensembles, Rihanna wore Comme des Garçons and truly paid homage to who the exhibit was honoring.  And she looked fantastic.

2. Joan Smalls


Nowhere near as daring as Rihanna, but still gorgeous in Alexander Wang.

3. Lily Collins


Not sure how I feel about this one.  She does sort of look like she belongs on a wedding cake...but maybe a really bad ass Gothic wedding cake.  It could work.

4. Kerry Washington


I barely recognized her in this look, but she really pulled it off.  The daring new bob paired perfectly with the multi-textured (nod to Kawakubo) gown and choker.

5. Cara Delevigne


Not exactly sure what's happening here. She's wearing Chanel and that's usually enough, but I'm not crazy about the tailoring of the jacket.  Also, she's shaved her head and painted it silver.  This would have made more sense last year.  Maybe she's forgotten the theme has changed.

6. Katy Perry


The co-host of the night.  This a little much. Maybe next time leave the headpiece at home.

7. Adwoah Aboah


One of my favorite models and she NEVER gets it wrong. A fun fact about Adwoah is that she started gurlstalk, a website devoted to making women feel empowered, loved, understood. Not alone. She's pretty fantastic for that.

8. Lupita Nyong'o


This color against her skin is absolutely breathtaking.  Lupita tends to wear bright colors and they work so well for her.

9. Grace Hartzel


Okay, now that's Comme des Garçons. Thank you Grace. 

That's my list of favorites, whether that be because they did it well or did something just...sort of wrong.  What do you think? Do you agree? Do you think I'm a moron? Comment about it!

XOXO,

Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment