Wednesday, January 25, 2017

The Things We Wear

Hey Brainiacs,

Maybe you've noticed I haven't posted in a while, but many of you are aware why: I just began the first week of my LAST semester of undergrad!  Exciting day for education but frustrating for my writing.  However, I'm lucky enough to have one class that I can already tell will inspire me to blog more than ever.  Maybe that makes you giddy, maybe it annoys the shit out of you.

Anyway, I'm enrolled in Fashion in American Culture, a brand new American Studies course designed by CSUF's Professor Terri Snyder and being tested out on our class for the first time this semester.  I've only attended one session, but I can already tell this class is going to be incredibly fulfilling in the sense that not only will I be able to appreciate fashion on artistic, expressive, and cultural levels, but on political levels, personal levels, and what our dress says about our state of mind.

The first question students were asked in class is one that I still can't get out of my head: When you got up and got dressed this morning, why did you decide to wear what you're wearing now?

When I began to write down my answer, I wasn't thinking too deeply about what was behind my wardrobe decision.  It was cold today, so I decided to fashion my outfit to work with my favorite, warmest jacket.  

Then, we were asked to answer a little more in depth: What does what you're wearing say about who you are?  I was about to answer until I realized I had nothing to say--what I was wearing didn't say anything about who I am.

I'm fashion obsessed and I pride myself in putting together my outfits, but on this particular day I was wearing black pants, a gray shirt, a white jacket, and black booties.  I took my pen to the paper and wrote, This outfit doesn't say anything about who I truly am because this isn't me. I don't usually dress this plainly and I'm not at all proud of what I've put together. I guess it's a reflection on how I've been feeling lately. I haven't been feeling like myself at all.

This really stuck with me--our clothes truly are a reflection of who we are. I've been feeling a little down lately, and that's reflected in my lack of effort to look, well, fabulous.  So what about you? I challenge you to look at what you're wearing right now and evaluate it.  Why did you pick out the outfit you're wearing? What does it say about who you are?  Leave a comment with thoughts.

XOXO,

Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment