Tuesday, September 13, 2016

The Virgin Voyeur

Good Morning Brainiacs,

I was taking a small break from Fashion Week (blasphemy!) to catch up on the cultural candy that is i-D.vice.com when I came across an article that caught my eye--about a photographer who captures teenage girls from the same perspective of the obsessive boys in The Virgin Suicides.  This is one of my favorite novels (I've never seen the movie; I'm really not much of a movie person), so naturally I was curious.

For those of you unfamiliar with the novel and/or film, The Virgin Suicides follows a young family of schoolgirls through their sad, mundane, mysterious, strange lives up until their demise (I would say spoiler alert, but it's right in the title) through the eyes of a group of neighborhood boys who are obsessed with the girls' intrigue.

The narrator is a collective one ("we"), and the group of boys are clearly men at the telling of this story, and yet they are still engulfed by the idea of the Lisbon girls.  In keeping with the eery, romantic, haunting theme of the novel, photographer Maxime Imbert captures young teenage girls in times of what he describes to be "desperate romantic[ism]."



Yeah, that sounds a little creepy, and maybe he is a little creepy, but I find his photographs to be hauntingly beautiful.  As a woman who was once a teenage girl, I can relate to the vulnerable, gullible, sensual reality of transitioning from child to woman and what that entails.  I feel that Imbert captures that wonderfully with his lens.



What are your thoughts?  Is this disturbing, is it art, or is it both?  I'm anxious to hear your opinion: male, female, old, young--the more variety, the better.

XOXO,

Taylor

1 comment:

  1. The sense of mystery with use of lighting and shading was very good and you can clearly feel the transitional period of girl to woman that you spoke of. I could do without the girl with the bloody teeth photo and I suppose the bottom-left photo of the girl contorting herself is meant to be artistic... but any appeal evaded me.

    ReplyDelete